Student Data Protection
Tonawanda City Schools Policy on Privacy and Security for Student Data and Teacher and Principal Data
More information is also available on the following websites:
- NYSED Data Privacy Resources
- Student Privacy Pledge
- New York State Education Department Parents Bill of Rights
- Education Law 2-D
- NYSED: Data Privacy FAQs
- U.S. Department of Education press release: Guidance for Schools Issued on How to Keep Parents Better Informed on the Data They Collect on Students
- Privacy Technical Assistance Center (PTAC): newly established one-stop resource for education stakeholders to learn about data privacy.
Data Protection Officer
Role: Student Data Protection Officer monitors all issues relate to the protection of student data collected as part of district operations.
- Monitor data that the School District is required to submit to New York State Education Department (NYSED) or to any NYSED sanctioned outside entity.
- Make a report in public session once a year that informs the public of the data that the School District is required to submit to New York State Education Department (NYSED) or to any NYSED sanctioned outside entity.
- Notify the Superintendent of Schools and the Board of Education whenever the NYSED or any other outside agency sanctioned by NYSED requests additional data/data fields from the School District.
- Ensure that the district is complying with all Federal and State requirements for data privacy and parental notification/opt-out procedures.
- Train all staff annually on issues related to data privacy and security.