UNIVERSAL PRE-KINDERGARTEN (UPK) REGISTRATION
ABOUT THE UPK PROGRAM
The Universal Pre-Kindergarten (UPK) program is open to district resident students who will turn four years old by Dec. 1, 2021.
UPK is a FREE half-day (2.5 hours) program sponsored by the Tonawanda City School District and funded through an annual grant with the New York State Education Department; students are accepted without cost to the family. Continued program availability is contingent upon state grant funding.
There is no tuition to attend. Parents MUST provide transportation. Morning and afternoon UPK sessions will be offered five days a week at Riverview Elementary School. A limited number of morning-only sessions at Child’s Creative Development Center (CCDC) or St. Francis of Assisi are available.
HOW TO APPLY (STEP 1)
Children must be four years old on or before Dec. 1, 2021 to be eligible for the UPK program. The UPK registration packet will be made available on this webpage on Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2021. Once the packet is available, please fill it out and bring the completed forms and supporting documentation to the specific registration sessions detailed below.
Registration packets are available online on this page and at the following buildings:
- Board of Education Building – 100 Hinds St., Door #11 (694-7690)
- Fletcher Elementary School – 555 Fletcher St. (694-7694)
- Riverview Elementary School – 55 Taylor Drive (694-7697)
- Mullen Elementary School – 130 Syracuse St. (694-6805)
- St. Francis of Assisi – 70 Adam St. (uniform required)
- Child's Creative Development Center (CCDC) – 138 Delaware St.
- Tonawanda Public Library – 333 Main St.
**NOTE: Registration packets will not be mailed.
REGISTRATION SESSIONS (STEP 2)
- After the registration packet is complete and parents/guardians collect the necessary documentation, the packets will be processed in person at a UPK registration session. There will be TWO registration days, both at the MS/HS. Registrants need only attend ONE time slot.
They will be held on:
- Thursday, March 4, 2021 from 7:45 – 11 a.m. at door #31 off Fletcher Street (On this day ONLY, doors open at 6:30 a.m. to secure a number for the processing of your child’s registration paperwork.)
- Friday, March 5, 2021 from 8:30 – 11:45 a.m. OR 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. at door #1
**NOTE: Please remember your session choice is on a first-come, first-served basis. Completed packets with documentation MUST be submitted during these registration times.
UPK PROGRAM LOCATIONS & TIMES
Parents may choose location and session preferences. Placement will be determined on a first-come, first-served basis.
- St. Francis of Assisi School (uniform required)
70 Adam St.
Morning session: 8:30 - 11 a.m.
- Riverview Elementary School
55 Taylor Drive
Morning session: 9:15 - 11:45 a.m.
Afternoon session: 12:30 - 3 p.m.
- Child Creative Development Center
138 Delaware St.
Morning session: 9 - 11:30 a.m.
**NOTE: Please print single-sided only.
UPK CREATES LIFELONG LEARNERS
The UPK program focuses on pre-academic skills (reading, writing and mathematical concepts) and the social skills a child will need upon entrance into Kindergarten.
Classroom learning time is open-ended and child-centered. Children learn by making independent choices and exploring the environment around them. In this way, they develop skills to become “lifelong learners.”