District Registration Overview
New to the Tonawanda City School District? Please register as soon as possible!Registration is a multi-step process and requires you to set up an appointment and apply in person at the District Office, 100 Hinds St. Please use Door No. 11 near the tennis courts. Ring the bell for entry.Call (716) 694-7690, ext. 1000 for an appointment with the registrar. Appointments can be made Monday-Friday from 8 - 11:45 a.m. and 1:15 - 3:30 p.m. Summer hours vary, so please call ahead!
**NOTE: Please visit the Kindergarten Registration and UPK Registration pages for information on registering for those programs.
**NOTE: Parents MUST complete the registration packet prior to the registration appointment.The registration packet includes the following forms:
- Enrollment Form/Residency Questionnaire
- Authorization for Release of Student Records
- Home Language Questionnaire (HLQ)
- Release Forms: Media, News, Interviews
- Photo-Military Permission Form
- Gmail Accounts Form
- Computer Consent Form
- Need for Physical Examination
- Student Illness and Emergency Information Form
- Health History Form
DOCUMENTS YOU NEED TO BRING
In addition to completing the registration packet, parents/legal guardians are required to provide:
- Original Birth Certificate
- Custody Agreement/Court-work Paper (if applicable)
- Current Immunization Records
- Health Physical from Pediatrician
- Proof of Residency in the Tonawanda City School District (see below)
For students residing within the Tonawanda City School District, but attending a private, parochial or charter school.
**NOTE: For those transferring into public school, please fill out the longer packet above.
**NOTE: Please print single-sided only.
THREE REQUIRED Proof of Residency Forms:
Valid NYS Driver’s License/U.S. Government Issued ID
Proof of Residency (ONE from A & ONE from B are REQUIRED)
(A) Signed lease OR mortgage agreement/statement OR deed of sale (if none available, a signed notarized statement from the property owner is required, stating how long you have been residing at the residence).
(B) Current bank statement/notarized statement (with Tonawanda zone address) OR current utility bill or service hookup (cable, phone, electric, water or gas – with Tonawanda zone address) OR STAR/tax receipt (if applicable).
Specific questions pertaining to residency can be directed to the building principal or the District Registrar at 694-7690, ext. 1000.
What constitutes residency?
To register your child in the district, you MUST reside in the City of Tonawanda. Additionally, in cases of divorce/separation/legal guardianship, New York State Court documentation will also be required.
Residency guidelines are based in part upon an individual's physical presence as an inhabitant within the geographical boundaries of the District as his or her actual and only place of residence.
A student's residence is presumed to be that of his or her parents/guardians. This presumption can in certain instances and in accordance with applicable law/regulations be rebutted by parents/guardians or the District, however.
To determine whether the presumption that a student resides with his or her parents/guardians has been rebutted, the following factors are considered relevant:
- Is the current address and living arrangements the student's actual and only address?
- Does the student intend to remain permanently in the District?
- Are the parents/legal guardians exercising custody or control over the student?
- Do the parents/legal guardians continue to support the student?
- Why is the student residing with others? Whereas the sole reason for living with others is to take advantage of services available in the District, the Commissioner of Education has held that the student has not established residency.