Students new to the Tonawanda City School District should register as soon as possible. Registration is a multi-step process and requires you to apply in person at the District Office, 100 Hinds Street, Tonawanda. Registration can occur throughout the school year.
NOTE: The Kindergarten and UPK programs have set dates in the spring for registration. Please read the Kindergarten Registration and UPK Registration pages.
Please read below to learn more about the registration process.
The District registrar is available Monday-Friday from 9 - 11:45 a.m. and 1:15 - 3:30 p.m. by appointment only, call 694-7684. Summer hours vary, so please call ahead.
District OfficeTonawanda City School District, 100 Hinds St., Tonawanda, NY 14150. Please use Door #11 near the tennis courts. Ring bell for entry.
Parents must complete the registration packet prior to the registration appointment.
You can Download the Packet or pick up a packet at the District Office.
The registration packet includes the forms listed below.
- Checklist for Transferring/Registering Student
- Student Registration Forms
- Enrollment Form - Residency Questionnaire
- Authorization to Release Records
- Home Language Questionnaire
- Student Illness and Emergency Information Form
- Computer-Military Permissions Form
- Health Appraisal Cover Letter
- Health History
In addition to completing the registration packet, parents/legal guardians are required to provide:
- Child's Original Birth Certificate with an affixed seal (copies are not permitted)
- Health/Immunization Records from your child's pediatrician/physician
- Documentation to verify parental/legal guardian
- Proof of Residency in the Tonawanda City School District (see below)
Acceptable Proof of Residency Forms
Both #1 and #2 are Required
1. NYS driver's license/passport or NYS non-driver's license photo ID
2. One document containing name and address such as a mortgage/tax bill, rental agreement
or notarized statement from landlord
One Item is Required
- Current bank statement/notarized statement with City of Tonawanda address
- Current utility bill or service hookup (cable, phone, electric, water or gas) with City of Tonawanda address
- STAR/tax receipt
Specific questions pertaining to residency and enrollment can be directed to the building principal or the District Registrar at 694-7684.
What constitutes residency?
To register your child in the district, you must reside in the City of Tonawanda. Additionally, in cases of divorce/separation/legal guardianship, New York State Court documentation will also be required.
Residency guidelines are based, in part upon an individual's physical presence as an inhabitant within the geographical boundaries of the District as his or her actual and only place of residence.
A student's residence is presumed to be that of his/her parents/guardians. This presumption can in certain instances and in accordance with applicable law/regulations be rebutted by parents/guardians or the District, however.
To determine whether the presumption that a student resides with his or her parents/guardians has been rebutted, the following factors are considered relevant:
1. Is the current address and living arrangements the student's actual and only address?
2. Does the student intend to remain permanently in the District?
3. Are the parents/legal guardians exercising custody or control over the student?
4. Do the parents/legal guardians continue to support the student?
5. Why is the student residing with others? Whereas the sole reason for living with others is to take advantage of services available in the District, the Commissioner of Education has held that the student has not established residency.